Craft Beverage Business Licensing, Regulation, and Taxation

The following agencies are among those that have regulatory authority regarding craft beverage businesses:

Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC) – Issues licenses (subject to approval by local unit of government), regulates marketing practices that can significantly impact sales, and oversees state tax collection.

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) – Issues food processing establishment license required for food and beverage production, conducts an annual inspection, and oversees pesticide applicator certification.

Food Establishment Licensing Details - Learn what categories of establishments are licensed by Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, and which are licensed by your local health department. 

Pesticide Application Information

Michigan Department of Environmental, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) – Wastewater management permits, storm water industrial permits for food processors, solid waste disposal.

U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) – Issues required winery licenses, designates production standards for wine, approves each label used on wine sold, certifies the accuracy of appellation information, oversees federal tax collection.

Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) – Regulates worker safety.

County Health Departments – May require a Food Service License for catered or special food service functions, issues well water, and septic system permits.

Local Units of Government – Local zoning ordinances may restrict what forms of business operations a winery can and cannot do on land zoned agricultural, commercial or residential; issues building permits.

State of Michigan – Register name of business

U.S. Copyright Office – Trademark registration

For additional business development support, contact Jenelle Jagmin, Michigan Craft Beverage Council, at 517-930-0696